LCI at the Action for Ecological Justice ConferenceSeptember 30
Join LCI's Executive Director and Program Director at the Catholic Church of Vermont's Action for Ecological Justice conference on September 30th. With a compelling panel of presentations centering around ecological justice, economics, science, public policy, organizing and advocacy, this is not to be missed. Join the event, and learn how you can get involved to turn the tide of pollution and build a community capable of conserving our natural resources.
For more information, go to vermontcatholic.org/actionforecojustice
Wild About VermontNovember 10
One of a kind event benefiting healthy habitat and healthy local food and water. Experience the best truly local and organic cuisine from the wilds of Vermont's woods and waters prepared by the chefs of Hotel Vermont under the direction of culinary genius and woodsman Executive Douglas Paine . Moose, deer, trout, salmon, and more!
Proceeds benefit the conservation efforts of Vermont Fish & Wildlife and Lake Champlain Internationall, partners in protecting and restoring the Vermont landscape.
Here is Vermont PBS's coverage of the 2015 supper:
3rd Annual Fish Chowder ChampionshipMarch 1
Postponed until March, 2018
Join us for the 3rd annual Fish Chowder Championship at Foam Brewers on the Waterfront. Highlighting local chefs, local fish, and local talent, this event brings Lake Champlain to you!
Two contests allow for professional and personal entrants alike - are you a home-grown kitchen-whiz that can own the room with your recipe? Are you an up-and-coming chef wanting to prove your merit on the scene? Enter and test the merit of your claim! You might even win a cash prize*
Doors open 5:00pm
Chowder tasting 5:30-7:00pm
Judging home cook-off entries 7:00pm
Judging professional chef entries 7:30pm
Local fish are the bounty of Lake Champlain, and a resource for all of us. Help highlight the value of this incredible food source by entering or supporting the Fish Chowder Championship.
Music provided by the talented and dialed-in Bardela, while the team at Foam Brewers will be pouring their specialty beer all night.
Donations go to the Bring Back the Brookies campaign - working to restore brook trout habitat, and help promote robust, self-sustaining populations.
2017 Fish Chowder Championship Official Rules
If you have questions or comments, please call (802) 879-3466.
1. Register in advance online by emailing LCI Program Director Juliana Dixon. Entry fee is $10 which supports programs and actions working toward clean water, healthy fish, and happy people.
2. Supply the recipe and brand/source for all ingredients on a typed sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper with name, phone, email, and address.
3. Entrants must bring two gallons of the finished entry in a working crockpot to Foam Brewers by 4:30 pm day of the event.
Maximum point total of 15 points
Points will be award in the following manner:
Taste: Maximum score of 5
Texture: Maximum score of 5
Ingredients: Maximum Score of 5
All fish must be from Vermont waters—no exceptions. All other ingredients will be judged with preference given to locally sourced (VT-grown and raised) ingredients. Deductions will apply for eligible ingredients not meeting the preceding criteria.
Bonus Point: 1 bonus point will be awarded to each recipe that includes only fish caught in the Vermont wild as opposed to local fish purchased at market.
5. Awards for the top three finishers plus special awards for audience favorite and chef having used fish exclusively in her/his recipe caught by herself/himself.
First Place: $500
Second Place: $200
Third Place: $50
6. All decisions of the organizers—Lake Champlain International, and the judging panel—will be considered final.
7. Participants agree to appear in photos and videos with the judges/organizers and to having their images and recipes used in press and future promotions.
8.Participants agree to share their enthusiasm for Lake Champlain and all Vermont waters as food source worthy of protection and restoration efforts.
With support from