May 26, 2018
Join us for the 3rd annual Fish Chowder Championship with Misery Loves Company in Winooski. Highlighting local chefs, local fish, and local talent, this event brings Lake Champlain to you!
Two contests allow for professional and personal entrants alike - are you a home-grown kitchen-whiz that can own the room with your recipe? Are you an up-and-coming chef wanting to prove your merit on the scene? Enter and test the merit of your claim! You might even win a cash prize*
Doors open 5:00pm
Chowder tasting 5:30-7:00pm
Judging home cook-off entries 7:00pm
Judging professional chef entries 7:30pm
Local fish are the bounty of Lake Champlain, and a resource for all of us. Help highlight the value of this incredible food source by entering or supporting the Fish Chowder Championship.
Music provided by the talented and dialed-in Bardela, while the team at MLC will be pouring beer all night.
Donations go to the Bring Back the Brookies campaign - working to restore brook trout habitat, and help promote robust, self-sustaining populations.
2018 Fish Chowder Championship Official Rules
If you have questions or comments, please call (802) 879-3466.
1. Register in advance online by emailing LCI Program Director Juliana Dixon. Entry fee is $10 which supports programs and actions working toward clean water, healthy fish, and happy people.
2. Supply the recipe and brand/source for all ingredients on a typed sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper with name, phone, email, and address.
3. Entrants must bring two gallons of the finished entry in a working crockpot to Foam Brewers by 4:30 pm day of the event.
Maximum point total of 15 points
Points will be award in the following manner:
Taste: Maximum score of 5
Texture: Maximum score of 5
Ingredients: Maximum Score of 5
All fish must be from Vermont waters—no exceptions. All other ingredients will be judged with preference given to locally sourced (VT-grown and raised) ingredients. Deductions will apply for eligible ingredients not meeting the preceding criteria.
Bonus Point: 1 bonus point will be awarded to each recipe that includes only fish caught in the Vermont wild as opposed to local fish purchased at market.
5. Awards for the top three finishers plus special awards for audience favorite and chef having used fish exclusively in her/his recipe caught by herself/himself.
First Place: $500
Second Place: $200
Third Place: $50
6. All decisions of the organizers—Lake Champlain International, and the judging panel—will be considered final.
7. Participants agree to appear in photos and videos with the judges/organizers and to having their images and recipes used in press and future promotions.
8.Participants agree to share their enthusiasm for Lake Champlain and all Vermont waters as food source worthy of protection and restoration efforts.
With support from